- standard wine serving = 5 oz
A regular wine glass could hold more than 5 oz, but you leave some room at the top for the delightful aroma of the wine.
Here are some common wine bottle and box size with the number of wine glasses in them:
- 187 ml "mini" wine bottle (usually sold in 4 packs) = 6.3 oz, or just over one glass.
- 375 ml "split" or "half" wine bottle = 12.7 oz, or two and a half glasses
- 750 ml standard wine bottle = 25.4 oz, or five glasses
- 1.5 liter wine "magnum" bottle = 50.8 oz, or ten glasses
- 3 liter wine bottle or box = 101.6 oz, or 20 glasses
- 4 liter wine bottle = 135 oz, or 27 glasses
- 5 liter wine box = 169 oz, or 34 glasses
When planning how many bottle of wine for dinner, plan two glasses per person. Servings may be a little less than 5 oz at dinner, closer to 4 oz, so there is a little variance.
- 4 people = 2 bottles of wine for dinner
- 6 people = 2-3 bottles of wine for dinner
- 8 people = 3-4 bottles of wine for dinner
- 10 people = 4-5 bottles of wine for dinner
- 12 people = 5 bottles of wine for dinner
- 20 people = 8 bottles of wine for dinner
Need to know liquor ounces instead? Read How many ounces in liquor bottles.